Brenda-Winchester Weed District - submitted by: Patty Billiaert

Brenda-Winchester Weed Control District has been a member of the MWSA for over 50 years and is dedicated to weed control in their area. Their first weed supervisor was George Wintle and according to the local newspaper he was hired June 15, 1957 and retired in 1973 with a lifetime membership in the MWSA. The Brenda Winchester Weed Control District is a formed partnership involving the RM’s of Brenda and Winchester as well as the Town of Deloraine and the Village of Waskada for the delivery of effective weed control in all four municipal partners.

WINCHESTER Municipality

Current boundaries of the Rural Municipality of Winchester were established in 1901. The Rural Municipality of Winchester boasts a variety of socioeconomic lifestyles. From the resort area which includes Lakes Metigoshe, Hasselfield and Dromore to the rich agricultural sector, to its ever expanding oil industry, the Municipality has something to offer everyone. It's a mecca for hunting, golfing, bird-watching and snowmobiling enthusiasts. The Rural Municipality of Winchester has joint ownership of a wide variety of arts, entertainment, recreational facilities and protective services for residents and visitors alike.

BRENDA Municipality

Brenda was incorporated as a Rural Municipality on 22 December 1883. It was named by Major A. Cates of Napinka after his daughter. The boundaries of Brenda were changed many times between 1883 and 1900. Cates took an active role in the incorporation of the Municipality when rearrangement of the old RM of Medora and the RM of Brenda became necessary. Brenda currently is home to the communities of Napinka, Medora, Goodlands and the Village of Waskada. The latest census count puts the population at 469 residents; however, the municipality is home to many who spend part of their time working in the busy oil sector.

Dick Field of Alexander, Herb Barwick of Boissevain and George Wintle of Deloraine receiving their life memberships from the MWSA and marking their retirement as weed supervisors.

Weed inspectors who were hired to act in the ten new divisions that were formed in the war against weeds. The men are from left Malcom McDermit, Pierson; John Lowen, Mather; George Wintle, Deloraine; Claude Bomford, Crandall; Arthur Smith, Reston.